It’s hard to narrow it down, but we’d like to make available a listing of resources related to disability advocacy and customized employment. Both online and in the physical world, there are an abundance of people, places and content to connect with in order to empower and inform you of all the resources available on the local, state and national level.
- For a good primer on customized and supported employment, please visit the website of the Employment Support Institute at Virginia Commonwealth University
- Minnesota’s Pathways to Employment brings together employers, businesses, government and service providers to help increase competitive employment opportunities for people with disabilities and to meet state workforce needs.
- APSE has partnered with GettingHired.com to create a community of support for individuals to network and seek knowledge, advice, and insight from peers, experts, and mentors.
- Can’t find the right job and want to take matters into your own hands, or if you ever been curious how how to land yourself a grant? Look no further, Grants.gov is a treasure trove of information and access to grants galore to get make your dreams a reality.
- The Resource Employment Action Center serves Minneapolis, St. Paul, and the Greater Twin Cities Area of Minnesota with Employment Services, Family Services, Veteran Services and Business Services. The also offer a program geared toward young people who are looking to get a fresh start after spent time in the juvenile justice system.
- Disability.gov is a great place to start exploring a number of different topics related to disability. It is the federal government website for comprehensive information on disability programs and services in communities nationwide. The site links to more than 14,000 resources from federal, state and local government agencies; academic institutions; and nonprofit organizations. You can find answers to questions about everything from Social Security benefits to employment to affordable and accessible housing.
- The Minnesota Consortium for Citizens with Disabilities is a broad-based coalition of more than 100 organizations representing persons with disabilities, providers and advocates, dedicated to improving the lives of people with disabilities.
- Disability Scoop is a great news site, which features coverage of a wide range of topics relevant to developmental disabilities. DS is a reliable and accurate source of original and aggregated content on issues ranging from science, to technology to policy.
- The Job Accommodation Network is a valuable resource for business and job-seekers alike to learn about direct benefits from accommodating the needs of employees. This PDF offers practical solutions for how to implement accommodations while ensuring workplace success.
- The Association on Higher Education and Disability offers a number of resources and programs, including a really incredible document, which offers a conceptual framework to support appropriate practices in providing seamless access through equal treatment and the provision of accommodations. You can download a PDF or word document here on their website.
- Minneapolis Regional Chamber of Commerce is a great way to get your business on the map or find out how to support local businesses in your community. The chamber is always offering a wealth of information, classes and networking events.